You know the feeling you get when you’re itching to have something hearty that warms you up on a lazy Sunday morning. The Crunchy Lettuce Shakshuka Bites is here to answer that prayer. This simple recipe only takes our self-proclaimed noob cook about 25 minutes to prepare! We’re sure that you can definitely do it.
Noob cook difficulty level: ✅
1 tsp Olive Oil
70g Just Crunchy Lettuce
2 tbsp chopped Onion
1 clove Garlic, minced
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds, optional
1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika, optional
1/2 a 15-oz can (about 1 cup) of diced Tomatoes with the liquid
Cilantro for serving, optional
Baguette for serving, optional
1. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a small saucepan or frying pan (use your smallest-diameter pan with a lid). Add the onion and saute until beginning to brown. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, just 30-60 seconds.
2. Stir in the spices if using, and then the harissa paste. Again, cook and stir until fragrant.
3. Add the tomatoes and a pinch of salt. Bring to a gentle simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 5-10 minutes until the flavours come together (but don't let it dry out! add a splash of water if needed). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add in Just Crunchy Lettuce, stir and let it sit for 2 minutes.
5. Crack the egg into a small bowl or ramekin. Make a divot in the tomato sauce and gently pour the egg in. Cover and continue to cook over gentle heat. After a few minutes, open the lid and gently spoon a bit of the sauce over the white to help it cook faster.
6. When the white is set and the yolk is as firm or soft as you like, remove from the heat. Carefully lift the egg out with a large spoon–you can put the whole thing off to the side if you want, and scrape out the sauce, then nestle the egg on top. Or just deposit the egg into a bowl and spoon the sauce around it.
7. Garnish with cilantro and serve with crusty bread for dipping.
This recipe was first published at https://shop.justproduce.sg/blogs/recipes/crunchy-lettuce-shakshuka-bites.